Records and Document Management (R&DM)
R&DM services ensure that information is managed in accordance with the records and document management principles and standards as set out by the National Archives and Records Services of South Africa (NARSSA). The activities focus on distinct areas of responsibility - File Plan implementation; Electronic Records and Document Management System (eRDMS) and Registry Services.
The unit also manages the Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) and serves as an interface with the NARSSA and the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC).
Library and Bibliometrics Services (LBS)
Library and Information Services (LIS)
LIS provides information in support of the promotion promoting of research in order to facilitate the creation of knowledge, innovation and development in all fields of science and technology. It ensures that information and electronic resources and e-databases are acquired, catalogued, collections managed and provided for access to the NRF community.
Bibliometrics and Scientometrics Services (BSS)
BSS focuses on the evaluation of research performance using different approaches to measuring scientific publications and science in general. Research performance evaluation is achieved through the retrieval of information using specialised citation databases and e-tools. Indicators are used to measure aspects such as productivity (output count); publication analysis (ranking and comparison); time series (trend analysis) and citation impact (citations per paper).
Data, Content and Curation Management Services (DCCMS)
DCCMS develops and maintains data and information-related products in support of cutting-edge research technology and innovation platforms. These include:
- Nexus Database System including the Current and Completed Research Project Database and Professional Associations Database
- National Electronic Theses and Dissertation (NETD) Project, including
- NETD Portal
- The establishment of ETD repositories for institutions
- NRF Institutional Repository
- Quality control of Fields of Specialisation list of the NRF Online Submission System
- South African Data Archive
- SADA Holdings and Website
- SADA Data Repository
- Database of Data Resources in Africa
- Africa and National Data management initiatives
- WDCBHH; Network Data Centre for Socio-Economic Data in Africa
- Carnegie Project Digitisation and Preservation Centre
- Digitisation and Preservation Centre at the University of the Witwatersrand
- Digitisation and Preservation Centre Portal