At the 5th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD V) held in Yokohama in 2013, the Japanese Government stated its policy on strengthening support for the on-going dynamic growth of Africa with stronger public-private partnerships.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo ABE announced the ABE Initiative (African Business Education Initiative for Youth), a strategic five-year plan providing 1,000 youths in Africa with opportunities to study at Japanese universities as well as to intern at Japanese enterprises aimed at fostering sustainable and sound industrial development in Africa.
This Program offers scholarships for youth to study master's courses in Japanese universities in English as well as internship opportunities during their stay in Japan.
Upon signing of the contract with JICA, participants in this Program will be entitled to receive during his/her study in Japan;
- Full tuition fee for Master's Program
- Monthly Allowance during Master's Program and Internship
- Air fare for single return from Johannesburg to Tokyo, Japan
- Orientation: Basic Japanese language course and Introductory course for Japanese life
- Health Insurance: Japanese national health insurance and JICA's medical coverage will be applied (with the exception of pre-existing condition)
- Moving/Preparation Allowance
- Research support fees (with the approval from JICA/Accepted University)
Who can Apply?
The Program aims at fostering excellent personnel who can contribute to Africa's development in collaboration with Japanese private sector, we are looking for prominent young South African nationals from who are or will be involved in industrial development related activities in both public and private sectors and have strong motivation to strengthen economic ties between South Africa and Japan.
- South African Nationals - Those who are not South African National , please contact the relevant JICA Office specified in 2-(3) Contact Information
- Age between 22 and 39 as of April 1st 2018
- Bachelor degree (B-Tech included) or above (Diploma is not accepted)
- Good understanding of the Program objectives
- Adequate English skills both in written and oral communication
How to Apply?
Please follow this link for more information about the Call: https://www.jica.go.jp/southafrica/english/office/others/abe.html
Deadline for Application
October 13th, 2017
Original application should be submitted to ABE Initiative Program Office, Lord Charles Office Block, Building A, 1st Floor 337 Brooklyn Street, Brooklyn, Pretoria 0081
No late application will be accepted
ABE Portal Site: http://education-japan.org/africa/index.html
(Detailed university information)