Indigenous Knowledge Systems (IKS) has been a cross cutting theme of the 10 Year Plan of the Department of Science and Technology’s 10-Year Innovation Plan. Reaffirming its commitment to mainstream IKS in South Africa, the South African government envisages IKS as contributing towards sustainable economic development in the country and advancing its scientific competitive advantage.It is against this background that applications are invited for IKS research proposals that meet the following entry-level requirements:
- Participation by IKS Holders/ Practitioners/Community Members
- Joint, active participation and equal ownership between academic researchers and IKS holders must be evident in ALL applications.
The proposals will be funded subject to the availability of funds.
Scope of the Call
- IKS and Bioeconomy (African traditional medicine, food security, technology, nutraceuticals, health and beauty, and cosmetics);
- IKS Epistemology (Ubuntu and cosmology, taxonomies, pedagogies and methodologies);
- IKS and Climate Change (Environmental Management),
- Women and IKS based technology innovations;
- IKS and Energy (alternative and clean sources);
- IKS practices among specific communities in particular of Khoi, Nama, Griqua and San communities;
- Novel and creative thinking that will shift the boundaries of IKS knowledge production, and that address national priorities in South Africa;
- Capacity building, development of high-end skills on knowledge generation and human capacity development;
- IKS and Astronomy; and
- IKS legislation and public policy
- Indigenous farming practices
- Story-telling and music.
CALL CLOSES: 11 May 2018
Applications should be submitted electronically on the NRF Online Submission System at https://nrfsubmission.nrf.ac.za.
Applicants must ensure that their Curriculum Vitae are updated on the NRF Online Submission System at https://nrfsubmission.nrf.ac.za.
PLEASE NOTE: Institutions must set their own internal closing dates to enable DAs to validate applications by this date.
Please direct all enquiries to:
Funding instrument related queries
Dr Sibusiso Mtshali
Director: Knowledge Advancement and Support
Tel: 012 481 4399
NRF Online application and grants management related queries
Ms Jane Mabena
Professional Officer: Grants Management and Systems Administration
Tel: 012 481 4067