South Africa-Canada Chairs Initiative (SACRI)
in Natural Sciences and Engineering (NSE)
(for current SARChI Chair Holders; and Canada Research Chair Holders or Senior or Associate Industrial Research Chair Holders)
The National Research Foundation (NRF) of South Africa and the Canadian Development Research Centre (IDRC) are pleased to announce that the following two calls will be launched:
- South Africa-Canada Research Chairs Trilateral Partners Initiative; and the
- South Africa-Canada Research Chairs Mobility Initiative.
These calls will be launched on 3 January 2017 and close on 7 February 2017, for funding from 2017 onwards. The general application templates for each call are attached to assist with preparatory and conceptualisation activities for the opening of the call, and the NRF Online system. These serve as guidelines only, and will be subject to minor adjustment in the final online versions.
The NRF has organized a briefing session for these calls as follows:
The briefing session will be held in parallel with the Science Forum South Africa, 2016 in Pretoria:
Date: 7 December 2016
Venue: DST Auditorium, CSIR South Gate, Pretoria
Time: 14:30 - 16:00
1. The South Africa-Canada Research Chairs Trilateral Partnership Initiative seeks to invest in the development of research in sub-Saharan Africa through the establishment of tri-lateral partnerships involving researchers from Canada, South Africa and a sub-Saharan African country. This initiative builds on existing research capabilities, links and common research interests in all three countries. Funding period: up to 5 years at CA $900 000 each.
2. The South Africa-Canada Research Chairs Mobility Initiative seeks to invest in the development of research between these two countries through the establishment of a chair matching programme between Canadian and South African research chair holders to build capacity, foster knowledge translation and develop new lines of research. Funding period: Up to 2 years at CA $40 000 each.
- Two separate calls, at the same time, will be published on 3 January 2017, with a closing date of 7 February 2017. The NRF Online submission system, which will be used for all applications from both South Africa and Canada, will open on 3 January 2017. It is anticipated that results will be announced in March 2017.
- Applications must involve both research chairs and senior researchers and be completed by all parties working together and should be submitted to the application system by the South African research chair.
- There will be a 1-stage administrative review conducted jointly by an equally represented review committee nominated by IDRC and the NRF in order to ensure that requirements are met, followed by a peer review process managed by IDRC and the NRF, whereby recommendations for funding will be made.
- The final decision will be made jointly by IDRC and NRF.
Ms Puleng Tshitlho
Programme Officer: International Relations and Cooperation
Tel: +27 12 481 4386
Mr Matthew Wallace
Senior Programme Officer, Foundations for Innovation
Tel: +1 613 696 2157
Please note that this is a closed call, issued to institutions in South Africa holding SARChI Chairs in the NSE fields. A similar process of advertisement will be followed in Canada.