The Thuthuka Budget Motivation Request for continued funding in 2018, must be submitted by all grantholders receiving Thuthuka funding in 2017 and who are eligible for continued funding for their existing NRF funded project. This applies to the following Thuthuka grantholders:
- those who will be in their 2nd or 3rd year of their 1st cycle in 2018, or
- those who will be in their 5th or 6th year of their 2nd cycle in 2018, or
- those grantholders in the PhD Track who obtained a Doctoral Degree within the 1st cycle and will be in their 5th or 6th year of funding, or obtained their Doctoral Degree in the 2nd cycle and will be in their 8th or 9th year of funding in the 3rd cycle in 2018.
All grantholders who submit a budget motivation for continued funding in 2018, must in addition submit a detailed Annual Progress Report (APR) by the due date in February 2018.
The purpose of the Budget Motivation is to ensure that budget allocations are aligned with the grantholder’s capacity to expense the awarded funds in the academic year in which it is awarded. The Budget Motivation includes a summary that demonstrates progress made by the grantholder to date. The grantholder’s progress must be evaluated by his/her Head of Department (HoD), who will make a recommendation to the NRF for continued funding.
Applicable funding categories for Thuthuka grants
In keeping with the changing funding landscape for emerging researchers, the NRF has made adjustments to the eligible funding categories for the Thuthuka funding instrument. From 2017 new and continuing Thuthuka grant holders will receive support in the following funding categories only:
- Running costs, including materials and supplies;
- Small research equipment;
- Student support;
- Conference, short courses or workshop attendance;
- Visiting scientists; and
- Technical assistance.
How to apply:
Applications must be submitted electronically on the NRF Online Submission System at https://nrfsubmission.nrf.ac.za.
To Access the Budget Motivation Form proceed as follows:
1. Log in with your User Name and Password;
2. On the left of the screen, click on My Progress Report;
3. Select Create Progress Report;
4. Click on Thuthuka Continuation Grants: Budget Motivation 2018;
5. Edit Progress Report and complete all sections;
6. Complete a budget motivation for 2018.
For technical enquiries relating to the NRF Online Submission System, please contact the NRF Support Desk from Mondays to Fridays between 08:00 to16:30.
Tel: 012 481-4202 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you have any queries with regards to the call requirements or application procedure, please contact the NRF contact persons listed below:
Dr Nqobile Ngubane
Telephone: 012 481 4156
Ms Sushie Pillay
Professional Officer: Project Leader
Telephone: (012) 481 4178