The Minister of Science and Technology hereby invites interested parties to nominate candidates to be considered for appointment to the National Research Foundation (NRF) Board. The Board is being reconstituted in line with Section 6(1) of the NRF Act, 1998 (Act No. 23 of 1998).
The object of the NRF is to support and promote research through funding, human resource development, and the provision of the necessary research facilities in order to facilitate the creation of knowledge, innovation and development in all fields of science and technology, including indigenous knowledge, and thereby contributing to the improvement of the quality of life of all the people of South Africa.
In terms of section 6(1) of the Act, the Board will consist of –
- The chairperson designated by the Minister;
- No fewer than nine and no more than eleven members; and
- The Chief Executive Officer, who is a member of the Board by virtue of his or her office.
The members of the Board will be appointed in their personal capacity and serve on a part-time basis for a period not exceeding four years, from 1 October 2018 to 30 September 2022.
Allowances will be in accordance with the National Treasury guidelines for remuneration.
When submitting a nomination, it should be borne in mind that the members of the Board, including the Chairperson, must be people who –
- Have achieved distinction in the field of research and technology;
- Research and technology management;
- Business, public affairs or civil society; and
- Are citizens of or have the right to permanent residence in South Africa.
In addition to the requirements of the Act, members of the Board should also have significant experience in finance, planning and corporate governance, ideally of institutions of a similar stature to the NRF. Nominations should clearly indicate which categories of experience set out above apply to the nominee. Nominations should be submitted to the Minister of Science and Technology by no later than 16 March 2018.
Relevant curricula vitae for nominated candidates, including the following information, should be provided: Identity number; gender; race; designation and responsibilities; contact details (postal and email addresses, and telephone and fax numbers); qualifications and field; current and past service on boards; areas of expertise; and the names and contact details of two referees.
Confirmation of the availability of the nominee is also required.
Nominations may be sent to the Director-General: Science and Technology, for attention Ms Happy Molefe, in one of the following ways:
- By email to Olorato.Mpolokeng@dst.gov.za.
- By post to the Department of Science and Technology, Private Bag X894, Pretoria, 0001.
- By hand to the Department of Science and Technology, Building 53, Scientia Campus, Meiring Naudé Road, Brummeria, Pretoria.
- By fax to 086 680 9326.
NB: Nominations will not be considered unless all the requirements set out above are met. Correspondence will be entered into with shortlisted candidates only.
Enquiries: Happy Molefe at (tel.) 012 843 6651, (fax) 086 680 9326