The NRF, through the International Relations and Cooperation (IRC) Directorate and in partnership with the German Project Management Agency (DLR-PT), hosted a two-day launch workshop for 2016 funded joint projects under the German/South African Science and Technology Cooperation. The workshop took place on 30-31 March 2017 in Pretoria.
The objectives of the workshop were to:
- Allow all 10 funded German/South African consortia to provide short summaries of the objectives of their projects to the funders;
- Enable funded researchers to elaborate on how the German/South African funding will assist in achieving these objectives;
- Provide understanding of how the PhD students who are involved in the funded projects intend to utilise this opportunity for their studies;
- Provuide a forum for funders to elaborate on their priorities and expectations from researchers; and
- Serve as a platform for first project-specific meetings between funded researchers.
The workshop was attended by all 20 funded Principle Investigators of the consortia, PhD and postdoc students to be supported within the funded projects, funders and government officials.